As you all know, today is Earth Day. A day to give thanks to what Mother Nature has provided us with. Shouldn’t that be everyday?! Living in the U.P., no one can deny that our surroundings are truly wonderful. So take some time today to give back to our mother.
There are many ways to give back. Here are some things that you can do today and EVERYDAY:
- Plant a tree – Lowes is giving away free trees today. Go get one and plant it in your backyard and watch it grow.
- Recycle. Every town offers some sort of recycling, whether it is curb-side pick up or a recycling center. Put a paper bag next to your trash and recycle ALL cardboard, paper, glass and plastic containers. You will be amazed at how much less trash you throw away every week!
- Conserve. Turn off the lights when you aren’t in the room. Take shorter showers. Turn off the faucet while you brush your teeth. Close the fridge (I am bad at this one).
- Ride your bike to work today! I did. Not only will you get a good work out, but you will save the atmosphere of toxic emissions. And and $4+ a gallon….you will save cash.
- Look in your local newspaper for information on volunteer trash pick ups. There are always highways and parks that need some help after the spring thaw.
- Switch out your light bulbs to compact fluorescents. (and recycle your old ones at collection centers)
- Use re-usable shopping bags. It is the newest trend.
- Shop Local. Eat Local. The less a product has to travel to get to you, the better. Period.
- And most of all, spread the news! Earth Day should be everyday. Reduce your carbon footprint and help the environment. Even little steps help.